Skip to main content
The Village Hall is located at:
147 S. Michigan, Bradley, IL 60915
815 936 5100

Village of Bradley Police Department


Frequently Asked Questions

Who do I talk to about specific concerns in my neighborhood?

The Bradley Police Department has assigned it’s Shift Commanders as it’s liaison’s for each Zone within the Village of Bradley.

Any questions or concerns can be directed to these individuals who will address each concern with the appropriate time and attention. If by chance they are unable to help you with your specific problem they will direct your problem to somebody who can.

What do I do if I get a traffic ticket?

When you receive a traffic ticket where mandatory court appearance is not necessary, you have three choices:


Pay the traffic fine, by mail or in person, without going to court, a conviction is reported to the Secretary of State.


Request a trial and go to court. (Read instructions on the back of the citation.)


Attend an approved Driver Improvement Program. Pay the traffic fine and course fee, attend a onetime class on defensive driving and receive no additional tickets during your supervision period. You do not have to appear in court. NO conviction will be entered on your driving record.

What do I do if I get a parking ticket?

If you get a Village of Bradley Parking ticket there are a couple of things you can do. First, check to see who issued the citation and what the Offense is.

If it is a Code Enforcement Violation you may wish to contact the Village of Bradley Code Enforcement office to inquire as to what needs to be done to remedy the violation.

If it is a General Parking Violation issued by a Police Officer you will either have to pay the fine prior to the dates listed on the citation or request an Adjudication Hearing date to contest the citation. You will be assigned an Adjudication Hearing Date set for the third Thursday of a future month.

All Parking/Code Citations must go through Adjudication.

What should I do if I feel that I was not treated in a professional manner by a member of the police department?

The Bradley Police Department has a specific policy that deals with complaints against Department members. The following procedures are in place:

You should begin by calling the police department and ask to speak to a supervisor. Tell him/her your problem and they will advise you what steps can be taken.

If your complaint is serious in nature and cannot be settled with the supervisor, you may be asked to complete a Complaint Form.

If a complaint form is filed it will be forwarded to the Commander of the appropriate division for investigation. A command officer will usually be assigned to investigate the complaint which will include taking statements from those individuals who may have knowledge of the incident in question. A hearing may take place and you may be called to testify.

After the investigation is completed, the Chief of Police will determine if the complaint was valid or not. If the complaint is determined to be a violation of Departmental policies discipline may be imposed. If the complaint involves criminal activity, the State’s Attorney will be notified.

The complainant will be notified by the Chief of Police of the outcome of the investigation. Usually within 30 days of the initial complaint.

How do I compliment a Department member for a job well done?

Members of the Department are not allowed to accept gifts or money for any services they provide, even if they are extraordinary.

The best way to acknowledge the individual is to send a letter, card or e-mail to the Chief of Police with the persons name and date of the incident.

An awards committee is established to recognize service above and beyond the call of duty and members can receive commendations and ribbons for outstanding service.

Who do I talk to about retrieving evidence after my case is over?

When and if your court case is over and you believe you may have property being held by the Bradley Police Department, you need to contact the department’s Property Officer to see if your property has been released by the court and make arrangements to pick them up.

What should I do about my neighbors barking dog?

The continuous barking of a neighbors dog can create a stressful situation among neighbors. If your neighbors dog continuously barks, especially over the late evening, night and early morning time periods you should call the Non-Emergency Police number and report it. On most first offenses residents are warned and made to bring the animals in. Repeated or severe violations may result in Local Ordinance Violations being issued to the owner.

What to do when stopped by the police while driving?

Respect goes both ways! Most people at one time or another will be stopped by a police officer while driving. Remaining calm and following some simple guidelines will go a long way toward making the stop as positive as possible. These guidelines are intended to inform you of your rights and responsibilities, and what you can expect from a police officer during a stop. These are general suggestions to assist you with your contact with the police.


The average driver receives a traffic citation once every four years. However, you can do a lot to control your driving. Driving alertly, being aware of traffic laws, keeping your car in working order, promptly renewing license plates and insurance, and promptly clearing all traffic tickets received can help prevent the experience of a traffic stop. The Bradley Police Department engages in traffic stops in an effort to keep the motoring public safe from erratic drivers who may endanger others. Enforcement is geared toward future prevention.


When you see the flashing overhead lights, remain calm and pull to the right side of the road to a safe location. DO NOT get out of your vehicle unless the officer asks you to. Keep your hands on the steering wheel where they can be seen. Do not make any sudden movements toward the floor or the passenger side. This is for your safety as well as the officer. Always be polite and respectful. Do not get into an argument. The first words spoken during a traffic stop usually set the tone and the outcome of the stop. When the officer comes to your car window, he/she will usually ask for your driver’s license and proof of insurance. You should give them to the officer. If you do not have the items, explain this to the officer. During the stop, the officer should tell you the reason for the stop. If he does not, you may ask him. The officer will return to the squad car to check the items for validity and for any wants or warrants. (You should remain in your vehicle during this time. ) If you do not agree with the reason for the stop, you should calmly advise the officer, but do not argue with him. You do have the right to go to court to contest the ticket. If a police officer asks to search your vehicle, you have the right to refuse. If you do not agree to a search, you should make that clear to the officer. However, if the police have probable cause that you or your vehicles were involved in a crime, they may search your vehicle without your permission.


In general, you should expect the officer should be polite, courteous, respectful and professional. The officer should give you his or her name. If asked, the officer should provide their name and identification number. The officer will not stop you without reasonable suspicion of illegal activity and will tell you the reason for the stop. That the police will not arrest a person unless a crime was committed or there is probable cause to believe a crime was committed. In the Village of Bradley if you are stopped for an alleged violation of the Illinois Vehicle Code, you will be issued either a Warning Ticket or Uniform Citation. The officer is compelled by department policy and state statute to record details of the stop and submit those details in citation form.


If you have a question about the stop or your treatment, you should contact the police department and speak to the officer in charge. If you are still not satisfied, you may ask the supervisor how you can file a formal written complaint. You may also send a complimentary letter to the department if you feel the officer was particularly helpful. If you believe your rights were violated, you may wish to speak with an attorney.

Does the Bradley Police offer a ‘Ride-Along’ observation program?

Yes, In order to foster greater community interest and understanding, cooperation and support, the Ride-Along programs afford government leaders and officials, members of professional or community organizations, students of criminal justice programs, and other law enforcement agencies, the privilege of personally observing the operations of the Bradley Police Department. Therefore, it is the policy of the Bradley Police Department to allow participation in the Ride-Along program only to the extent that the effectiveness and efficiency of Departmental operations are not impaired.

All requests for Department Ride-Along must be submitted in writing by using the attached form. The Deputy Chief will review the request to ensure the applicant meets the criteria of the policy and forward the request to the Chief of police who has final determination. Participants may ride-along with a patrol officer, patrol sergeant, or may observe the operation of the Communications Center (or combination there of).

The person participating in the ride-along must understand that they will be present strictly as a passive observer and that they must not take an active part in any police activity or operations. It should also be understood that the goals and duties of the Department are primary and anything which would jeopardize the basic mission of the Department will result in immediate cancellation of the ride-along. A ride-along is not permitted with detectives or other covert units. The maximum number of hours permitted for a ride-along is restricted to four (4) during a single session with a minimum of three (3) months between sessions and a maximum of eight (8) hours during a calendar year.

Ride Along Application